Sunday, September 14, 2008

Week 2: Paperboy's Rushing Blog


Back by popular demand, it's the Paperboy's Rushing Blog. ...I really don't like the name of the blog though, so if you have any suggestions, let me know. ...Also, the wife suggested changing the format of my posts so people can read from top to bottom, so I've changed it.

12:10 p.m. - Welcome back...Last week was easy for me to handle this blog while I was watching/commenting on the game and related commercials, because I didn't need to deal with looking at the progress of my two fantasy teams. So, this rushing blog could definitely suffer this week as I try to keep up with everything -- usually what happens when you are spread too thin is that you don't end up enjoying or devoting enough time to ANYTHING.

12:16 p.m. - Last week, I made the bad choice of selecting Carson Palmer as the starting QB on both of my fantasy teams over Eli Manning. I ended up winning in both leagues, but gave up 10 or so points on each team. This week, my lineup on my Road Warriors team is set. I'm having some difficulty though, selecting a guy for the RB/WR position on my The Paperboy team. It's between Ryan Grant - who has an easy opponent in the Lions and a banged up hamstring - or Chris Johnson who is facing the Bengals and had an awesome Week one. I'm leaning toward starting Chris Johnson because Grant's injury will most likely limit him. Will this last minute decision come back to bite me - AGAIN? We shall see. I have another 30+ minutes to decide for sure.
12:29 p.m. - Chris Johnson is the selection. Wish me luck!
12:35 p.m. - The wife and I are watching a True Blood-Lines: A New Type. It's an interesting take on how vampires have been shown in popular culture. This show is an extra for the new HBO show True Blood...a campy and awesome new show about vampires.
12:52 p.m. - It'll be interesting to see today how the Giants play after a 10 day layoff. It feels like it has been forever since they played the Redskins on Opening Night. Hopefully there's not a letdown from the Super Bowl Champs.

12:56 p.m. - Why do I have to hear Joe Buck and Troy Aikman do another Giants game. I really hate these guys. Buck needs to stick to calling baseball games - where he does much better play-by-play....and Troy Aikman should just stick to sucking.

1:05 p.m. - Oh, by the way. I'm starting Eli over Palmer on both of my teams today. It's going to turn out good for me this week. I just know it!

1:11 p.m. - The Rams have an offensive lineman named Richie Incognito. I wonder if he gets noticed a lot.

1:14 p.m. - Right now, I'm typing this blog entry, eating cheese and crackers, watching the Giants-Rams game, watching the Bengals-Titans game on ESPN GameCast and keeping track of the scores of both my fantasy teams. On one hand, you could consider me to be a good multi-tasker...and on the other hand you could say I have Attention Deficit Disorder.

1:20 p.m. - Wow, what an awesome touchdown pass by Eli Manning! He felt the pressure, stepped up in the pocket and lofted a sweet 33-yard TD pass to Plaxico Burress. Last year in the regular season, Eli would have never felt that pressure and would have taken a sack and probably would have fumbled the ball. 7-0 Giants.

1:25 p.m. - Near the end of the first quarter, Ryan Grant has 5 carries for 4 yards and Chris Johnson has 4 carries for 3 yards. Damn, I knew I should have started Grant. Kidding...

1:31 p.m. - Whose idea was it to put together these annoying and long Bill Gates-Jerry Seinfeld "normal people" commercials. They are horrible.

1:40 p.m. - 3 and 2 for the Rams from 32 yard line and Danny Clark makes a nice stop to drop the Rams back. 54 Yard Field Goal try is still good. Damn. Giants 7-3.



1:52 p.m. - Eli is throwing down the field a lot today, but for some reason the Giants call a running play on 3rd and 9. It leads to a 39 yard field goal attempt by my grandfather John Carney and it is GOOD just insides the upright! 10-3 Giants.

2:02 p.m. - Giants offense takes the field again after a nice stop by the defense. About 6 minutes left in the half. Another score by the Giants offense before the end of the half would be nice.
2:08 p.m. - Right after they allow the Rams to convert a 3rd and 17, Antonio Pierce bursts through the middle untouched and gets the 4th Giants sack.

2:10 p.m. - Rams line up for another 54 yard Field Goal attempt and Coach Scott Linehan tries to ice his own kicker by letting the clock run down to the 2 minute warning.

2:13 p.m. - Unfortunately, Linehan's strategy (my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek) doesn't work and the Rams cut the score to 10-6.



2:14 p.m. - Troy Aikman criticizes the Giants for beating the Redskins. Apparently they didn't win by enough points last week.

2:16 p.m. - With 2 minutes left in the half the Giants break out the no huddle offense. An offense that Eli succeeds with consistently.

2:18 p.m. - Giants are driving toward the goal line led by some nice 10 yard passes by Eli and runs by Derrick Ward.

2:21 p.m. - 33 yard try by Carney is good. I love this guy. He's perfect so far as the Giants kicker. Can we put Lawrence Tynes on the injured reserve this season? 13-6 Giants.

2:23 p.m. - The half ends and Joe Buck again gives the Giants a nice backhand by saying that the score is closer than anyone expected. Thanks Joe. I don't think anyone expected the Rams kicker to hit two 54 yard FGs either. The Rams haven't done anything today except hit those two LONG field goals. They benefited from one big 3rd and 17 yard play and a 15 yard facemask penalty on Justin Tuck. Other than that, they haven't been great. The Giants offense has stalled during various parts of the game and Eli hasn't succeeded at throwing the ball more than 30 yards down the field. That's not his strength. I know the Rams secondary is suspect, but the team should totally stick with what is working in this game and has worked in the past.

2:25 p.m. - Fox has entirely too many people on their half time show. There's Curt Menefee, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson and Michael Strahan. I think Strahan needs to unretire from football.

2:28 p.m. - At the half, Ryan Grant has 9 carries for 12 yards. His coach said before the game that he'll only get about 15 carries this game. Chris Johnson has 8 carries for 67 yards - highlighted by a 51 yard scamper near the end of the half. I think I made the right choice.

2:32 p.m. - Adrian Peterson, who has the pleasure of being on The Paperboy team -- and also the displeasure of being on the real life Vikings -- has 118 yards rushing in the first half of the game against the Colts. This guy is totally sick. The Vikings shouldn't even throw the ball.

2:42 p.m. - I have New Orleans against the Redskins in my one free survivor football and the Saints are only up 10-9 at the end. Yeesh!

2:46 p.m. - Nice 30 yard run by Brandon Jacobs. As I was cheering for his run, I thought in the back of my mind - "Shit, the guy that I am playing in fantasy this week has Jacobs in his lineup." That's sick.

2:54 p.m. - Great play-action Touchdown...Manning to Toomer. Excellent throw. Excellent catch. 20-6 Giants.

2:58 p.m. - Eli's older brother - you might have heard of him - Peyton and his Colts are really playing poorly this season. They got surprised by the Chicago Bears in Week 1 and are losing to the Minnesota Vikings - 15-0 late in the 3rd Quarter. That's a shock.

3:04 p.m. - It's a bad sign when Joe Buck tells you that the Rams punter has been a bright spot for the Rams today.

3:13 p.m. - Troy Aikman makes another stupid comment and I continue to hate him. The question is did I hate him more as the Cowboys QB in the 90s or as his current stint as Fox's "top" color commentator.



3:15 p.m. - I have the answer. I respected him as the Cowboys QB. I despise him now in his role as Fox's most biased color commentator.
3:20 p.m. - Aikman is clearly rooting for the Rams today. He just sighed when Marc Bulger overthrew a wide open Dane Looker.

3:26 p.m. - Torry Holt catches a B.S. touchdown that bounces off his chest when he's on the ground. The referees figure its a touchdown and call it so. The Giants don't have it reviewed. That pisses me off. 20-13 Giants. Joe Buck reminds us again that he thinks the Giants suck.

3:33 p.m. - I watched Fringe last week on Fox and thought it definitely was an interesting new show. Let's hope Fox doesn't cancel it just as I'm getting into it. I'm still bitter about them cancelling Drive from a couple seasons ago.




3:37 p.m. - I really like Ahmad Bradshaw. He runs with a full head of steam and reminds me a lot of Tiki Barber.

3:40 p.m. - Bradshaw scores on a 20 yard TD pass from Eli. 3 TDs from Eli today. Nice score by Bradshaw, 26-13 Giants.

3:45 p.m. - The Rams have literally been in 3rd and more than 10 yards six or seven times today. They've scored on two 54 yard FGs and a questionable, a bobbling TD pass that wasn't reviewed by the Giants. They are hideous. I think their coach Scott Linehan is the first on the chopping block this season.

3:46 p.m. - Speaking of hideous: Have you seen Carson Palmer's numbers today. 134 yards passing and 2 Interceptions. That's 1 fantasy point for those counting at home. Eli's got more than 25 fantasy points. Nice!

3:45 p.m. - Great athletic batted ball/interception by Justin Tuck. He runs it back 42 yards for a touchdown. 34-13 Giants.

3:45 p.m. and 30 seconds: Did I mention the Giants defense is on both my fantasy teams?

3:55 p.m. - Nice 32 yard TD run for Bradshaw. 41-13 Giants. Are the Giants a good team now Troy and Joe?
4:00 p.m. - Who will get fired first? Scott Linehan or Raiders coach Lane Kiffin?

4:03 p.m. - 15 carries for 20 yards for Ryan Grant and 19 carries for 109 yards for Chris Johnson. I thankfully made the right choice.

4:05 p.m. - 20 of 29 for 260 yards, 3 TDs and a 131.4 passer rating for Eli. Giants offense and defense played a great game. They started slow and probably kept the inept Rams in the game for too long. But in the 2nd half they played really well and ended up winning 41-13.
That's it for now guys and girls. Thanks for reading. Sign up as a follower of my site on the top right handed corner. Thanks.

No comments: