Thursday, September 4, 2008

Paperboy's Rushing Blog - Giants vs. Redskins



Welcome to the inaugural edition of "Paperboy's Rushing - Not Running Blog"!
It's the Giants' first game of the season against the Washington Redskins as they attempt to valiantly defend their Super Bowl XLII Championship.

Hopefully the blog and game is not too boring. I'll try to sprinkle in some non-football-related off color humor. ... Start from the bottom and read up...like you're reading chinese.

10:04 p.m. - The Republican National Convention is starting. I'm not watching it. Let me know if McCain croaks.

End of the game - The Giants played just well enough to win tonight. In the beginning of the game, they had four strong drives, all of which should have ended in TDs (only one did). Eli had a so-so game. Plax and Jacobs both were strong. The Redskins simply played atrocious and were stymied by the Giants defense for most of the night. The only reason they scored on the defense was because of the nice kickoff return near the end of the 1st half by Rock CARTWRIGHT 4!!

10:03 p.m. - Game ends and Giants win 16-7!!

9:53 p.m. - Jacobs carries 3 Redskins players 4 yards to nearly get a game clinching first down for the Giants. It's now 4th and inches. Up two scores, Coughlin makes the smart decision to punt.

9:51 p.m. - I heard John McCain and John Carney attended an AARP meeting together last week.

9:45 p.m. - Nice stop by Kenny Phillips on 3 and 17 with 2:09 left in the game. This kid has been all over the place tonight and is going to be a special player.

9:40 p.m. - Chris Cooley just made his first catch of the game with 3:39 left in the game. That's ridiculous considering that he's thought of as one of the top TE's in the game. It sure shows you to look at the quality of the team's QB when you are drafting a WR or TE.

9:39 p.m. - Giants defense needs to come up with a big stop here to seal the game. People everywhere - I was not one of them - who took the Giants and gave 4 points are pooping in their pants right now.

9:33 p.m. - Eli's had a few ill advised passes tonight. Overall, he's been decent, but not great. Maybe Carson Palmer will validate my decision to start him over Eli this Sunday. Still, I can't complain. He was the Super Bowl XLII MVP. Did you hear?

9:30 p.m. - The Giants start another offensive drive with about 9 minutes left in the game. They need to close it out right here.

9:29 p.m. - The writers of Unlawful Entry need to sue the writers of Lakeview Terrace for copywriter infringement. The movies look exactly the same.

9:28 - Pete Kendall just ripped off Antonio Pierce's helmet and head butted him when his helmet was off. I have no idea how that wasn't a penalty on the Redskins.

9:15 p.m. - The 3rd quarter ends with the score the same: 16-7 Giants.

I think this running blog is getting too long. I'm losing fans in droves...I'll pause for 10 minutes (or more) unless something amazing happens or I come up with a witty comment...both of which are entirely possible.

9:12 p.m. - I heard John McCain just got up from his nap and put his dentures in.
9:10 p.m. - Another Heroes preview. This one was different than the first. Wow, I am psyched for this season!

9:03 p.m. - The Giants defense is just dominating tonight. Another 4 and out for the Redskins offense.

9:02 p.m. - Bad interception by Eli as he is rushed and throws off his back foot. Damn.

8:58 p.m. - I think they've run out of names for movies. But I've thought that for the past 5-6 years.

8:57 p.m. - Ditto for Righteous Kill.

8:53 p.m. - I'm kinda interested in seeing Eagle Eye.

8:51 p.m. - Jason Taylor tries to sack Eli Manning and instead Eli gets rid of the ball first and Taylor instead spins him like he's on Dancing with the Stars again.
8:41 p.m. - The second half starts. Let's hope that the Skins didn't take the momentum with that late first half drive.

8:35 p.m. - Some dude named Chuck Todd is talking about the Republican Convention. I hate people with two first names.

8:33 p.m. - Bob Costas looks rough. I think he's still on Beijing time.

8:29 p.m. and 30 seconds - Back to Back Eli commercials! This one is about that dumb Oreo playoff thingie. I hate those commericals.

8:29 p.m. - Great Eli-Toyota Commercial where he's buying a car and his salesman walks away and Eli seens on the guy's computer screen that he's trading him from his fantasy team. The salesman returns and hilarity ensues. ...

8:28 p.m. - Good first half for the Giants. Nice command by Eli. Solid first half by Plax and definitely a great job by the defense.

8:27 p.m. - Santana Moss scores on a wide open pass and the Redskins cut the Giants lead, 16-7 Giants.

8:19 p.m. - Nice kick return from some named Rock Cartwight. Everytime I hear that name, I scream out loud CARTWRIGHT 4!!....from Seinfeld fame...from a time when Jerry wasn't doing 10 minute Microsoft commercials.

8:18 p.m. - That was a hideous, non sensical, 10 minute Microsoft commercial with Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld.

8:16 p.m. - 47 yard FG goal from John Carney!! This guy just outkicked his age!! 16-0 Giants.

8:08 p.m. - I just convulsed after watching the preview for Season 3 of Heroes. I'm so excited for it. I can say convulsed right? I had a few seizures as a child so that makes it okay, right?

8:07 p.m. - I hate these crappy Coors Light commercials where they do those fake Coors Light press conferences using football coaches quotes from real press conferences. Shitty commercials. Shitty beer.

8:02 p.m. - Did you know that Arnold Schwarzenegger appeared in 42 movies as an actor? I had no idea. (I found that out when I was looking up the name of True Lies.)

8:02 p.m. - I'm definitely giving this new Christian Slater TV show My Own Worst Enemy a try this season. Stupid title for a show and it's a premise that has kinda been done before. ... Kinda part Bourne Identity, part True Lies. But I'll give it a shot.

8 p.m. - They grew another leg for Carney and he knocks through a 25 yard FG and then walks off the field with the assistance of a walker. 13-0 Giants.

7:56 p.m. - Another great juggling catch for Plax. 5 catches for 84 yards. He's earning his new contract.

7:53 p.m. - Isn't tonight's 1o p.m. speech way past John McCain's bedtime? That's about 4 hours past the time that he usually goes to sleep or about 1 hour before vampiress Cindy McCain opens up her coffin to look for blood.

7:51 p.m. - I may be a mean, heartless bastard, but I think the "GU" patch on the player's uniforms to celebrate the life of Gene Upshaw, former NFL player and president of Players Association is WAY too big. It's like the size of a coffee saucer!!

7:48 p.m. - Nice first quarter for the G-men. 10 points and 1 first down -- because of the personal foul penalty -- and NO POINTS for the Washington For...I mean...Red....skins.

7:42 p.m. - A great 2nd drive stop by the Giants defense is negated by a dumb personal foul penalty by new Giant Jerome McDougle. I can't even spell his name. That's how new he is.

7:37 p.m. - 44-year-old John Carney knocks through a 24 yard FG for the Giants. His leg then disintegrates. 10-0 Giants.

7:33 p.m. - Jacobs just ran over Redskin Laron Landry. Landry promptly asks a guy on the sideline when did they start letting Mac Trucks into football games.

7:31 p.m. - Brandon Jacobs can't catch a pass for shit. He's dropped or missed three passes from Manning so far tonight. That's going to be a problem this year again.

7:27 p.m. - Great way to start out the season for the Giants defense that everyone ripped after Osi's season ending injury. On the first offensive play of the Redskins' drive, Justin Tuck beats a double team and rips down Jason Campbell down by the front of his jersey.

7:22 p.m. and 1 second - 68 passing yards and one rushing TD on the first drive. That's 8 Fantasy Points. Damn, I should have started Eli.

7:22 p.m. -Great first drive of the season by the Giants sees Eli running a bootleg into the endzone for a touchdown. I think he had 1 running TD last year and that was in rainy London. What a great way to start the season. 7-0 Giants.

7:02 p.m. - Awesome introduction of the Super Bowl Champs before the game by retired Giant Michael Strahan.

6:59 p.m. - One minute before the fantasy lineup deadline, I decide to stick with Carson Palmer as my starting QB this week. I have a feeling that it could be a mistake.

6:55 p.m. - Just found out that Plaxico Burress signed a two-year contract extension making his total contract 5 years for $35 million. Good for him. Now, he won't be a distraction this season. Probably the best thing to happen for the team this offseason.

6:45 p.m. - I've been debating for the past 2 hours whether or not I should start Eli Manning over Carson Palmer tonight. I'm always wrong in my picks so I'm flip flopping quicker than John Kerry.

6:40 p.m. - I listened to Chris Russo - The Mad Dog - for 5 minutes or so on XM's Sports Nation - Channel 144 - and thought he was the typical annoying Mad Dog. I probably will listen to him sometimes, but like a child living with one of his divorced parents a majority of the time, I'll probably spend more time with Mike Francesca.

6:35 p.m. - Here goes: The start of the inaugural edition of the "Paperboy Rushing - Not Running - Blog"...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good blog...not enough digs on Obama though (zero is WAY too few). No comment on the hotness of Taylor's Dancing partner?