Saturday, September 20, 2008

My Yankee Stadium Memories


It seems like every sports radio talk show this past week has had callers call in to talk about their memories of Yankees Stadium. So I thought I’d join the funeral and share my thoughts. There are so many memories that I have of games at Yankees Stadium, but for this blog, I’ll only share my top 5 moments when I was actually in attendance at the game.

#5: Watching Joba Chamberlain’s 2nd major league start against the Royals – In the grand scheme of things it was an insignificant game during the season, but I’ll never forget this game because it was Joba’s 2nd major league start and I think he’s the true No. 1 starter for the future Yankees.

#4 - Don Mattingly’s 200th career homerun. Believe it or not, I was at the Stadium for Don Mattingly’s 200th career homerun. Mattingly hit a blast to right center and when it was posted on the screen, the Yankees rose to their feet. In the next instance Danny Tartabull hit a homerun and the Stadium’s noise level ramped up to another level.

#3 1996 Opening Day – There’s an entire, long story that goes behind this game to how I surprised my dad with opening day tickets to how it snowed – yes snowed in April – for the entire game. It was effectively the start of the Yankees’ latest dynasty and a game I’ll never forget because it was one of the many I spent with my dad.

#2 – My first game at Yankees stadium in 1987 against the Minnesota Twins – As so many early childhood memories are, this one is hazy, but I do remember walking out and seeing the Yankees Stadium field for the first time. It was something magical. And I’ve gotten the same exact feeling every time since.

#1: I was at Yankees Stadium in the left field bleachers for Aaron Boone’s 11th inning solo homerun off Tim Wakefield in Game 7 of the 2003 American League Championship Series. I’ve blogged about this moment countless times before so I won’t bore you. I’ll just say again it was the loudest and brightest I’ve ever seen Yankees Stadium. It was also probably the loudest and brightest experience of my life.

I look forward to making new memories at the new Yankee Stadium – if I can afford a ticket – but I’ll never forget these memories.

2 comments:

SportsWeezy said...

I think your wedding counts as the 'brightest' experience of your life. Kevin Boss is a buster...the Giants are going to get exposed badly very soon. How about not making the playoffs on the last year that the stadium is active....lol. Yankees suck. On a sad note, I am very sad that you didn't start Ronnie Brown. Fantasy was horrible this week but somehow I am still up.

Smelmooo said...

Yayayyayyayayayyayyayay

I was a part of one of them!