Thursday, October 18, 2007

I'm in Shock Right Now

I am in an utter state of shock, right now. As I do on most days, I listened to WFAN in NYC all day in the hopes of hearing some news about the Joe Torre situation. Around 3 p.m., WFAN started reporting that The Newark Star Ledger was reporting that Torre was in Tampa ready to re-sign with the team. Mike and the Mad Dog talked about it for a full hour about how great it was that Torre was back. I too, was excited about it as I wanted Torre to re-sign with the team.

WFAN informed its listening audience that the Yankees had planned a conference call at 4 p.m. today and the station would play excerpts of the call after it happened. Figuing that it was a foregone conclusion, I started letting my friends, neighbors and Dad know that the Yankees were about the announce that Torre was returning.

Well, the Yankees shocked the world by announcing on the call that Torre had rejected the Yankees 1 year offer at a reduced salary. I'm sure taking a pay cut was a kick in the face for Torre and he decided to tell the Yankees to fuck off. In a way, I think it was the right move for him. The Yankees shouldn't have treated a manager that led them to 12 straight postseasons like that.
While I'm upset that he's not coming back as manager, I hope that this doesn't hurt Torre's relationship with the Yankees long term. I would really like to see them retire his No. 6 in Monument Park and have a Joe Torre Day at the Stadium, when the hubbub from this shocking announcement today dies down.

Maybe it was time for a change...but I surely wasn't ready for it.

2 comments:

Smelmooo said...

This was most of the major talk at the Rutgers' tailgating last night.

I am mixed on the whole thing and I can make arguments for both keeping and getting rid of him..

Either way... he was a great coach and I will him luck wherever he ends up.

SportsWeezy said...

I couldn't have dreamed a better end to the Yankee's season! Total disarray, fans bitching and in related news, the Red Sox going home for Games 6-7.
I already said my piece on Torre, which was unbiased and remarkably well-written. lol.
The Yankee's definitely pushed him out the door by offering a one-year deal with a 2.5 million dollar paycut. A disrespectful move on their part and Torre as usual handled it with class. The Yankee's may hit a 'cursed' period because of the way they treated him. Anyone who replaces him will have the 'John Elway' effect, which will be extremely tough especially in the largest media market in the world.