Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Huge Postseason in Store for A-Rod

Do me a favor and write this down....

Alex Rodriguez is going to have HUUUUUGE postseason.
The past few days there was a slew of articles in the New York media talking about how Rodriguez had a tremendous regular season, but still had to prove himself to New York fans in the postseason - when it really counts. While it's true that the team and its player have been truly measured by their October record during the past dozen years -- 4 World Championships by the way -- I think that Rodriguez proved himself tremendously during the regular season and doesn't have anything to prove to anyone.

During the regular season, A-Rod had a run away MVP season. He was on a different level than any other player in baseball hitting a league leading 54 homeruns, driving in a league leading 156 RBIs, and scoring a league leading 143 runs. See a trend forming here?
When he wasn't racking up league leading numbers, he was driving in game winning RBIs to single handily win games for the Yankees and keep the team afloat when it was struggling in April and May. If the Yankees didn't have A-Rod this season, they wouldn't be in the playoffs. It's plain and simple.

Still, most of New York -- mainly the blow everything out of proportion New York media -- believe that he still needs to prove himself in the postseason. It's true that A-Rod hasn't done anything in the past postseasons, but he was clearly a different player and person in New York this season.
So, I'm telling you right now to write this down.
A-Rod is going to have a huge postseason.
Finally.
I'm going to write about it everytime he gets a big hit. I'm going to gloat about it when he wins a postseason game(s) for the Yankees. You are going to want to punch me in the face and tell me to shut the hell up because I'm going to be talking about it so much. That's how much I believe in this statement. A-Rod is going to be the reason the Yankees win the World Series this year.
Mark it down.
And I promise that I'll be a man about it and admit that I was wrong if he doesn't have a big postseason. But I guarantee I won't have to.

I just have a feeling this year.

1 comment:

SportsWeezy said...

Tony, I like the aggressiveness. As a completely biased homer, I figured you would argue A-Rod having a big post-season. I love how you have to go back 12 years now to include your 4 championships. Unfortunately for you, A-Rod is now going to have to step it up to another level in the post-season. He has to get over a mental hurdle (much like Barry Bonds in the post-season a few years ago). Cleveland has excellent starting pitching and as you know generally the pitching in a 5-game series from a division winner is stellar. Top three pitchers throwing their best stuff. The starting pitching in Cleveland definitely has an edge in this series. In addition, you don't have home-field advantage. Finally, to win world championships your need great starting pitching, not just a great offense. You think the Indians care if A-Rod goes nuts and they take the series, NO! Individual accomplishments are great but A-Rod has the makeup of a Hall-of-Fame player, not a champion (see Jeter). FYI: The last time the Skanks won the wild card was in 1997, and Cleveland beat them in a best of five 3-2.