Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Four Years Since Boone's Historic Home Run


Four years ago today, Aaron Boone hit one of the biggest homeruns in Yankee history in Game 7 of the ALCS against the Boston Red Sox. I was at the game. And I remember that moment like it was yesterday.

I found out about going to the game the day before, took off early from work and paid $50 to attend the greatest game that I will ever attend in my life...I just didn't know it at the time.
I remember vividly that a pipe burst in NYC that day and caused tremendous backups on roads into the City. A trip that would usually have taken 1 1/2 hours tops, took 3 hours. Once we finally got into the Stadium, there was a ridiculous buzz in the air. Future Hall of Famer Roger Clemens was facing Future Hall of Famer Pedro Martinez in the game and we were sure that it was going to be a pitchers duel.

By the second inning though, Clemens was knocked out of the game - sound familiar? - and Mike Mussina came in to save the series for the Yankees.
Down by five early in the game, the Yankees started to come back led by two homeruns by Jason Giambi. The Yankees finally tied the game in the 8th inning off a bloop single by Jorge Posada and the Stadium was buzzing again.

The game didn't end until the bottom of the 11th inning when Boone took the first pitch from knuckleballer Tim Wakefield and blasted it into the night. As the pitch was leaving Wakefield's hand, I remember telling my friend Chris how much Boone sucked. The words had barely left my mouth before Boone connected with the pitch. What followed was complete and utter madness.

I have never before been in a brighter or louder place in my life. It was a truly ridiculous moment that I'll never forget. And I can't believe it's already been four years.

1 comment:

SportsWeezy said...

Your gettin' old! That means I am too...I can't believe that was 4 years ago. What happened to Boone, he never really progressed after that hit.