Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Entertain Me with....Twin Peaks


I always heard a lot about Twin Peaks, but never watched it.

Whenever there's a strange movie or show on TV, it's always compared to Twin Peaks, the penultimate of weird entertainment. Even though it's a show that's right in my wheelhouse - because I love shows and movies like Push Nevada, Memento, Mulholland Drive, etc - I never watched the show. Maybe it's because it was on in 1990 when I was 13 years old and my parents wouldn't allow me to watch it....there's definitely evidence in favor of this as I mentioned to my Dad the other day that I was watching Twin Peaks and he told me that it was a messed up weird show.

Anyway, Smelmooo let me borrow the 2 hour pilot of Twin Peaks and Seasons 1 and 2 a few weeks ago and I tore through the pilot and Season 1 like the murderer who tore through Laura Palmer. The wife had initially started watching the pilot with me and soon left the room as it was just a little too weird for her as well.
Despite moments that would appear to make more sense if you were stoned, I thoroughly enjoyed Season 1. While it became quickly apparent -- at least to me -- who the killer of Laura Palmer was, the producers did a wonderful job of peeling back the layers of all of the characters to reveal their true selfs and motives.
Season 1 was really great and Smelmooo tells me that the show gets progressingly more boring as Season 2 progresses, but I am still looking forward to starting Season 2. I throughly recommend Twin Peaks to anyone looking for a murder-mystery that is slightly out of the ordinary.

1 comment:

Smelmooo said...

Even when it gets slower (not boring), Twin Peaks is still an amazingly shot show.

This show was WAY ahead of its time and unfortunately, America was too stupid to watch it.