Thursday, April 19, 2007

What a Disgusting Showing by NBC News

If I was working at NBC News last night, I can guarantee that I would have been fired. I would have been fired because the second that I found that that the station was planning to air a crazed manifesto from a sadistic f*ck, I would have taken the dvd and smashed it into a thousand pieces. If it was on tape, I would have happily pulled the tape out of it, cut it into little ribbons shreds and lit it on fire. If I wasn't able to get it before it aired, I would have Jimmy Fly Snuka'd Brian Williams from the top ropes as he was airing the piece at 6:30.

Seriously, how dare the network show the rantings of a madmen who just a few days ago killed over 30 people at Va Tech. It's offensive. It's disgusting. And it is uncalled for. It's completely ridiculous that they bleeped out the curse words of the madman during his manifesto, when in reality, showing the tape on national television during primetime was a thousand times more offensive. How in the world do scores of politicians come out against games like Grand Theft Auto and say they are offensive, when it's a damn video game. This is real life and everyone stands on the sidelines and doesn't say anything while a madman gets the airtime that he so dearly wanted.

It really makes me wonder what type of world we live in when we consider this to be news and not nearly as offensive as the whole Imus B.S. a couple weeks ago. I won't go off on that rant again because it doesn't have a direct connection with this, but I think it is applicable when you're talking about what we consider offensive and what isn't. NBC News knew this was offensive. That's why they shamelessly tried to have Brian Williams cavet it by saying that they were working with VA law enforcement to ensure that other madmen didn't copy cat. How exactly are they doing that? Was Brian Williams signing up to be a VA State Trooper?

Plain and simple, NBC wanted to get the "scoop" and thus they showed a clip that no one else had. They thought it was okay if they caveted the clip with the painstaking process they went through of deciding whether or not to air it. Then they aired a piece of it on the 6:30 news, caveted it with a disclaimer and then shamelessly plugged the fact that more of the manifesto would be aired on The Today Show.

I am completely disgusted and shocked by this horrible display of judgement by NBC.

No comments: