Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Just to Clarify Yesterday's Blog

I've heard from a bunch of people about my blog about Don Imus' comments - including comments from a lot of my friends who I respect greatly - and I want to clarify something.

I think Imus' comments were completely inappropriate and I definitely think he never should have said them and should be punished for them. The Rutgers Women's Basketball team did nothing wrong. They aren't in the public eye and shouldn't be open for ridicule. And they did nothing, nothing, nothing to deserve to be called horrible names by a craggy old man who broadcasts to millions. I do agree with a comment that one of my friends made that Imus should be held to a much higher standard than other people because he has a microphone in front of him and a platform for expressing his views to millions. I've thought about that a lot and definitely agree with it.

What I still disagree with and something that I wanted to highlight in my blog yesterday is the fact that in my opinion Americans care way too much about words and meaningless things, and not enough about actual actions that gravely affect our world and our well being. That's not to say that Imus' words were acceptable - they weren't.

I guess in a way, I'm trying to say that Americans care much more about comments made by Mr. Imus and who has custody of Anna Nicole Smith's baby and less about the fact that global warming is slowly destroying our earth...less about the fact that the people we are trying to protect - the Iraqi's - are protesting our existence in their country. ...less about the fact that thousands of our soldiers have not just been killed, but maimed and injured forever by our presence in Iraq. But like I said yesterday, it's just my pittingly opinion. ... I could be wrong..

I promise that I'll be back to posting on my opinion on videogames, the Yankees and movies -- including the recently seen Babel and Blades of Glory -- you know... highlighting and giving value to the meaningless things in life ...How's that for contradicting myself?

1 comment:

Smelmooo said...

The words nappy headed hos are not the problem.

Applying them to people in a derogatory fashion such as the Rutgers Women's Basketball team is the problem.

Most people don't have a problem with the words as much as they do the unnecessary and irrelevant implication of them.

When Mel Gibson gets out of the car and calls a police officer a jew and disparages them.. it has nothing to do with the police officer being a police officer.

When Imus called the team nappy headed hoes, nappy headed hoes, it had nothing to do with them playing basketball and can be considered a stupid thing and even racist thing to say.

When it is irrelevant and pointless and race becomes the issue, then it is an issue.

With all that said... this whole Imus thing is stupid.