Thursday, April 26, 2007

American Idol Gives Back

I stand corrected...yesterday's good news/bad news wasn't involving the Yankees and watching American Idol. Yesterday's good news was that during our viewing of American Idol Gives Back my wife and I gave a little bit of money to help people who are much less fortunate than us. The bad news is that there are millions of people across the globe -- including in U.S. - who are living in horrible conditions. It really makes you thankful for what you have. And that's why we decided to give a little back last night.

As I've cited before, I think American Idol and Fox do everything in their power to drag out shows so they can sell every inch of their property to advertisers in the favor of making a buck. Last night though, I think it was completely wonderful that they used their platform as the most popular show in America to highlight the stories of people who dearly need help. While I really believe that throwing money at the problem isn't the solution and requires larger action by the governments of these countries, I am really impressed that American Idol took it upon themselves to highlight this issue.

Hopefully last night's show helped raise some of the questions that need to be asked about why there's such a wide berth between rich people and poor people across the globe.

No comments: