Tuesday, April 17, 2007

R.I.P. LaRon Cephas and Victims of the VA Tech shooting

LaRon Cephas was a basketball player at Maryland when I was there. This morning, there was a story in the Washington Post about how he collapsed yesterday in his Annapolis home and died at the age of 29.

While he didn't play a lot at Maryland, he definitely had a huge impact on the 2001 National Championship team as a role player and overall good person. After college, LaRon worked for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County, helping to shape the youth of tomorrow.

After we graduated, I never forgot LaRon Cephas...not because of his playing days, or not because of what he did for the Boys & Girls Club - I never knew about that until today - but because everytime I told my wife that something was facetious - humorous or amusing or not meant to be taken seriously or literally - I instead said it was "LaRon Cephas."

Today, there is nothing funny about a 29-year-old person dying. And since I'm 29 and knew of LaRon, I'm extremely upset after hearing this sad news today.

Equally upsetting was the shooting at VA Tech yesterday. What a horrible, atrocious and vile act by a madman. What in the world would possess someone to do something like that is beyond me. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of those killed and injured.

No comments: