Monday, January 29, 2007

Off to the Glue Factory Barbaro

It's sad. It's upsetting. I can barely type because my eyes are filled and my keyboard is wet with tears, but I cannot even fathom why the news of Barbaro's death today is big news. For months upon months, the constant state of Barbaro's health has been in the news - almost as much as the Iraq War or the recovery from Hurricane Katrina.

Why, is this big news? He's a horse damnit! He's not human. Horses are animals. Say it with me animals...

Horses are not athletes. When any radio or TV sports show comes up with a list of Greatest Athletes of the Decade, Century or History of Sports, a controversary always emerges on whether to include Triple Crown winner Secretariat's on the list. Of course, you know my view on this already. He's a horse. Athletes are HUMAN. Horses are not. Horses are for gamblers who bet on horse races. They are for horse shows. They serve as the basis for fruity JELL-O gelatin and sticky Elmer's glue.

So, I really can't understand why people are so fascinated with the constant multitude of stories that have cluttered the airwaves for the last year on the status of Barbaro's recovery from a broken leg. Sure, I am an animal lover like anyone and it's upsetting when an animal you love die. But this isn't an animal that anyone loved besides gamblers who made a quick buck on him.

I'll stop crying. I suggest you do the same and get back to eating your cherry JELL-O.

No comments: