Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Goodbye Scooter


When I was growing up, watching the Yankees on WPIX was a mainstay in my house. And with it, so were the voices of Phil Rizzuto and Bill White. Both weren't the best announcers ever, but at times Phil Rizzuto was funny and entertaining and he made baseball interesting. I'll admit, even I can find baseball boring at times - that's why I love taping it and fast forwarding it between pitches - but Phil Rizzuto make the game move along so much faster because he was so entertaining. Sometimes he never even talked about the game that was happening. He talked about canolis and his family and everything and anything in between.

I never saw Phil Rizzuto play shortstop for the Yankees, but I'll never forget his time as a Yankee broadcaster.

The Scooter died today at the age of 89. He hasn't broadcasted a game in at least 10 years, but I'll never forget his voice and never forget the imprint that he left on my life.

Holy Cow!