Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Don't Threaten Me With An Entertaining Time: Part II

Back again with another edition of Don't Threaten Me With An Entertaining Time...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – I got into this series late in the game because I thought it was just for children. After about the 4th book, one of my friends recommended it so I took the plunge. I really liked the first 4 books and just felt the series was getting better and better as it went along. It’s clear from reading the books that kids would enjoy the book, but it must be some pretty smart kids who are reading these books because they definitely are written for people with a high school reading level. The last book in the series didn’t disappoint. The end was a little anti-climatic, but overall I enjoyed the last book and thoroughly enjoyed the series.

Zodiac – While this might have been the longest movie that the wife and I have seen in awhile – it clocked in at 2 hours at 38 minutes! And took us two sitting to get through – we thoroughly enjoyed this movie. As anyone knows, Zodiac is about a sick serial killer. The movie follows the storyline lines of a reporter who covered the killings, the police force who tried to solve the case, and a cartoonist at the SF Chronicle who goes on to write a book about the case. The case was never solved – which in all honesty I didn’t know. This movie was just really well written and is highly recommended; if you have 2 hours and 38 minutes laying around…

The Number 23 – My wife and I have a thing about the number 23…not the movie, just the number. My favorite baseball player of all-time is Don Mattingly – #23. My wife’s first class as a teacher had 23 kids in it. We started dating on December 23, 2001. We got married on July 23, 2005. So there’s a pretty good chance that I’m never forgetting our anniversary.

Because of our love for the Number 23, we were excited to watch the movie and nearly went to the movie theater when it came out. When the DVD came in the mail from Netflix last week, we managed to get through 20 minutes of the movie and turned it off. Not sure why we did it, but it definitely didn’t hold our attention.

No comments: