Monday, May 28, 2007

The Great XBox 360 Caper


I have about 10 things that I wanted to blog about, but I really felt the need to write about something amazing that happened to me today. Okay, it wasn't amazing, but it was pretty cool.
My XBox 360 died today. ....that's not the amazing part though. I nearly had a seizure when it happened. After the XBox 360 showed me the deadly 3 rings of death that means that it's suffering from a hardware malfunction of epic proportions, I called up Microsoft and after fighting with Max, the friendly computerized phone service there for 5 minutes - I finally reached a human being. I was then told by a nice foreign lady at MS that my XBox was a month over the corporate 1-year warranty - of course it was! - and I would need to send it in for repair and pay $139 for it, I was pretty pissed off.

I didn't even think about calling EB Games which I bought an XBox package from in April 2006 because I already knew the warranty had expired. The package that I purchased from the store just over a year ago included a XBox 360 console and a bunch of other stuff thrown in to fleece people to spend in the upwards in $600 on the package, including a 1-year EBGames warranty. I usually never get warranties for ANYTHING, because I consider them to be dumb add-ons proposed by retailers to get you to give them more of your money. But I was pretty much forced to get this one back in April, so I obliged. Turns out, I was lucky to have been forced to buy that warranty.

After I got off the phone with Microsoft today, I figured I would give it a shot to call EBGames. I played dumb when I got on the phone with them - usually the best way to get people to feel for you - and the guy told me that even though my 1-year warranty with them had run out, they would be happy to replace my broken XBox with a brand, spanking new one. Now that's Customer Service for you!! Needless to say, I will buy every future game at my that EBGames because of what they did for me today.

Now, I just have to get Microsoft to refund the $139 that they already charged to my credit card. Hopefully that's not too tough. But you never know.

1 comment:

SportsWeezy said...

Dude this reminds me so much of that letter you received from Oakley. Mr. Bianchini, your name is on file, if you ever send back imitation glasses it will be considered fraud and you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Hopefully that xBox is not a japanese imitation! hahaha.