Monday, May 7, 2007

Hello Again Rocket


I meant to blog yesterday about Chien-Ming Wang's near perfect game on Saturday night, but then I got wrapped up in watching Sunday's game against the Mariners, and didn't end up writing that blog...And then the 7th inning stretch on Sunday happened.
My wife and I were planning our vacation to Arizona while the game was on and out of nowhere, the commercials between the 7th inning stretch cut off suddently and there on the TV appeared Roger Clemens in a blue pinstriped suit saying: "Well, they got me out of Texas. I'll be talking to you soon." For a second, I had no idea what was going on. Then I realized that the Rocket announcing that he was coming back to pitch for the Yankees. What great news....
As pitcher after pitcher was injured this season and the Yankees found themselves having to round out their starting rotation with minor league pitchers, I was hoping that Clemens would come back to the Pinstripes. And now that it's a reality, I couldn't be happier to see how the old man pitches again in Pinstripes.
I don't care at all about the unbelievable $28 million pro-rated salary that he's getting. I don't care that he doesn't have to be with the team on a day he's not pitching. All I care about is that we are getting a proven pitcher who has won with the Yankees before.
I really believe that it's not only going to be a big psychological boost for the Bombers, but also a big boost to their starting pitching staff..
Good luck Rocket!

2 comments:

SportsWeezy said...

Why are 50% of your articles about the damn Yanks...don't you know the NBA playoffs are on? The NHL Playoffs, Golf? Please diversify your articles to keep your loyal readers like me interested. How about D-Fisher flying to a playoff game and hitting a huge 3-pointer after his daughter was diagnosed with a tumor between her eye and brain. No that's a story.

SportsWeezy said...

Rocket is setting a terrible precedent for future spoiled athletes to get the same deal he did. It is disrespectful to the game for someone to only be with the team when he pitches and collect 1 million approx. per start. It is a ridiculous contract in yet another poor move by Yankee management. He is 44! You have no idea what his velocity is like. He is the highest paid athlete in sports history! Is one starting pitcher that important? You should care about the salary not because it effects the Yankees, but because of the adverse effect on baseball. In an era of spoiled athletes and agregious contracts, this is the worst of them all. On top of the amount being paid, he doesn't have to travel with the team? He should feel OBLIGATED to be with the team through thick and thin, or else he is just a pitching prostitute. And don't give me that family bullshit, everyone in the majors has a family. He is an overpaid mercenary and even if he went undefeated, he has NO impact in 100 other games!!! Players are people too and no matter what they say, the envy will ruin the chemistry of the team. What if he doesn't perform? Or gets hurt? Has anyone taken that into consideration (i.e. Randy Johnson). This is not how you build a champion, it's how you destroy a legacy.