Thursday, May 3, 2007

I Jinxed Phil Hughes


I watched most of Tuesday's Yankee game on my 27" meager Sony TV. Phil Hughes, Yankees Future Star starting pitcher was becoming the Yankees Present Star starting pitching. In his second major league start, he was DOMINATING. His fastball was blistering. His curveball was ridiculous! And he threw 3 straight changeups to strike out All-Star Mark Texeira. He was making one of the best hitting teams in the best hitting ballparks look horrible.

Did I mention he was tossing a no-hitter?

When he took that no-hitter into the sixth inning, I started calling and IM'ing my friends to tell them to turn on the game. You could just tell that something special was happening. He was getting ahead of hitters. He was striking out people by the bunches. He was getting people to ground into double plays. No one hit a flyball out of the infield until the 5th inning. He was on his way to becoming the youngest pitcher ever to throw a no-hitter.

Then, I jinxed Phil Hughes...

My wife came downstairs to tell me that House on Fox was over and I could watch the Yankees game upstairs on our fabulous 46" Sony Projection HDTV. I knew before the final word left her mouth that Hughes' no-hitter would be lost if I went upstairs. I'm that type of superstitious person.

Yet I denied what my inner monologue was saying and I went upstairs to watch the game. One out later, Hughes didn't give up a hit, but instead he pulled up lame and was forced to leave the game after he heard his groin pop. Just like that he lost his chance at becoming the youngest pitcher ever to toss a no-hitter. And now he's out 4-6 or 6-8 weeks depending on who you talk to. And the Yankees injuries woes continue. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Sorry for jinxing you Phil.

2 comments:

SportsWeezy said...

You should be ashamed of yourself. Tell her to go upstairs and watch TV...scratch that, tell her you need dinner and to iron your work attire for tomorrow.
Hughes had the same injury a few years ago, said it took him 3 weeks to recover. Hopefully he's out for the year! hahahhaa. Yankees suck.

Smelmooo said...

Hee Hee...

Chosen_1 is funny... and thinks like I do about the tv...

I would love to see Tony do that... he would be dead in 15 seconds.

Rumor has it that he left work early today to watch the Yankee doubleheader... just to get to the big tv first.