Saturday, March 17, 2007

This is Sparta!!

Entertain me with 300....

The second that I saw the preview for Frank Miller's 300 in the trailers for new movies, I knew I had to see it. Maybe it was the images in the trailer...maybe it was the fact that all of the critics said it was made for the video game generation. Maybe it was the fact that I loved Gladiator and Frank Miller's Sin City so I thought this movie would also be something that I liked... I knew even if it meant going to the movie theaters by myself - since my wife hates these type of movies - I knew I had to see it. So earlier this week, I went to see 300...
Overall, I would say that I enjoyed 300. It was entertaining. It had great scenes. But it just had an okay story and just seemed to be missing something. I'm not sure what it was missing. It sure wasn't missing bare breasted woman or bloody battles filled with decapitated heads...but it was missing something. I don't know what it was missing though.
Probably one of my biggest problems with the film was the casting of Dominic West of HBO's The Wire fame as 300's main villian Theron. Everytime I saw him, all I could think about was his Det. Jim McNulty character in The Wire. And that definitely detracted from my liking of the movie.
Other than that, like I said before, I enjoyed. And I definitely agree with the critics who said this was a good movie for the video game generation. Between the video game styled images and plot lines -- it definitely had the feel of a video game. ...
I would recommend the movie to any warm blooded American male who likes barebreasted woman and gladiators chopping off heads....not the heads of the bare breasted woman, mind you.

No comments: