Tuesday, March 20, 2007

An Impatient Writer...

I'm a writer, but I don't have the patience to sit down and write a whole book. I've always wanted to and have taken a few attempts at it, but I just can't stay in one place for too long and don't have the dedication and patience to do that.

When I was 15, I handwrote a 65 page short story - that wasn't ever finished - called The Heist. It was a Sopranos type-story before the Sopranos were the Sopranos. It had robberies and mob-styled killings, which is a lot coming from a 15 year old kid.

Then when I was in college, I typed out a 70-80 page story - again, never finished - called Freshmeat about a college student and a scientist and something about a werewolf...okay, I still don't know exactly where the story was going, so that's one of the reasons that I never finished it.

There's been other ideas I've had, but nothing ever made it on another type of paper than a cocktail napkin.

From 15 to 25, I found my love of writing love poems that didn't require a lot of work and patience and got me a bunch of girls, including my lovely wife. Over the course of 10 years, I probably wrote the upwards of 300-400 poems. I made one of them into a hardcover book called Words to Be and my wife has it on our bookshelf to this day.

In the last few years, I haven't written much of anything, other than starting this blog back in November. Hopefully I can continue this experiment and maybe find the patience to write a book again. ...or to finish the two that I started so long ago.

I was going to include background in this blog as my time as a sportwriter during high school and college, but I really want to dedicate a separate blog to that because of the huge effect that it had on my life.

No comments: