Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Is it Baseball Season Already?


The headline of this blog, was my wife's question the other day. ... but it could just have easily come from my mouth considering I'm still in awe of what happened 9 days ago.

Pitchers and catchers report to Baseball's Spring Training in two days - that's also Valentines Day for you single people and forgetful husbands - and I am not the least bit excited for it.

Back in November after the Yankees season ended there was a different piece of Yankees related news each day. At that time, I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to the 2008 season. But then the daily Yankees news surge dissipated and I started to pay more and more attention to the Giants.
Then when the football playoffs began, I was engrossed in them. I devoured all news coverage, watched the Giants games multiple times and was enthralled with everything and anything having to do with the team.
Since the Giants became Super Bowl XLII Champions on Feb. 3rd, I have been even more neurotic and psychotic.
A day after the Super Bowl, I walked to our local convenience store - I'm on a health kick for those of you who didn't know - and purchased a copy of every NY paper. The day after that I watched the NFL Network's 1 1/2 hour replay of the game. I watched highlights of the game on Inside the NFL.
In between, I rewatched the final drive of the game 20 different times.
I read every article about the game and the victory parade. I walked to the Kohls near my house on one day to purchase a Championship shirt. Then the next day I walked to the local Borders to buy the Sports Illustrated weekly and commemorative editions. After that, I watched the final drive another 10 times and watched and listened to YouTube clips, radio clips and anything and everything that I could get my hands on.
I'm nuts. But you already got that idea 5 sentences ago.
It's a different feeling then I'm used to though, so how can you blame me. Usually when my favorite team loses after a tough season I suffer through a few weeks of hangover - not the alcohol induced mind you, but a horrible, gut wretching, depressing sports hangover. That didn't happen with the Giants this year though. So, I truly don't know what to do with myself.

Trust me, I'm looking forward to baseball season...but right now I still can't get over the fact that the New York Giants are Super Bowl XLII Champions.
Maybe Joba's 100 mph heater will get me into the 2008 baseball season ...

No comments: