Thursday, December 20, 2007

Is That Winstrol in Your Pocket ...


When I was growing up I watched Nails – Lenny Dykstra – patrol centerfield for the New York Mets. He was awesome to watch, but everyone knew he was on something.

I saw the A's Bash Brothers smash their steroid induced biceps into each other after each homerun.

When I was in college, like the rest of the country, I eagerly watched and rooted for Mark McGwire in his pursuit of the Maris homerun record.

I named countless fantasy baseball teams Roid Rage because I thought it was funny.

Everyone knew that steroids and other performance enhancing drugs were a part of baseball in the 1990s and early 2000s. And no one – who had the responsibility and ability to do so (like the Commissioner of Baseball) did anything about it. It's a simple fact and that's why I have no idea why it's such a big deal now.
Listen, I think that taking steroids and HGH is simply disgusting. But it’s a fact of life that when you have millions of dollars separating punch and judy hitters from big bashers, athletes are going to try to get that edge. ...Even if their balls shrink up as a result.

If athletes don’t care about their bodies, why the fuck should I care about them. My role as a fan isn’t to be the moral compass for athletes or to say that athletes are my idols and should make a good example for young kids. It's to root for my favorite team.

This Mitchell Report “scandal” is the latest in the “fake outrage news” that seems to be so prevalent these days where people cry “Why….why!!! when they should be worrying about things that make a real difference in our lives. ...like What’s going in Iraq lately? How are those poor people still doing in New Orleans? Does any of this matter anymore?

Yes, I know that Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and a number of former Yankees were named in the report and I’m not trying to bury that fact in this blog. What most people fail to realize is that while there were former Yankees in the report many of them weren’t even freaking Yankees when these alleged acts happened. And because of that performance enhancing drugs had little to no effect on the team’s dynasty in the late 90s.

On his NY Daily News blog (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/yankees), Yankees writer Mark Feinsand made this point more concisely then I could so I’ll just quote what he said in his blog: “People will make up their own minds when it comes to these players. But what about the teams they played for? A look at the four Yankees title teams in the Joe Torre era show several players in this report on those rosters: 1996: Andy Pettitte; 1998: Andy Pettitte, Chuck Knoblauch, Mike Stanton, Darren Holmes; 1999: Andy Pettitte, Chuck Knoblauch, Roger Clemens, Mike Stanton, Jason Grimsley, Daniel Naulty; 2000: Andy Pettitte, Chuck Knoblauch, Roger Clemens, Mike Stanton, Jason Grimsley, David Justice, Jose Canseco, Glenallen Hill, Denny Neagle. That looks pretty bad. But is it? According to the report, Knoblauch’s first purchase of HGH came in 2001. That would mean he was clean during the title years. Same with Justice, who reportedly didn’t meet Kirk Radomski until after the 2000 World Series. Pettitte’s usage was in 2002, according to the report, while Hill’s purchase from Radomski came in 2001, after he had left the Yankees.”
I couldn’t have said it better.

No comments: