Wednesday, February 28, 2007

F*ck Duke


J.J. Redick, Shane Battier, Jason Williams, Corey Magette, Mike Dunleavy. I hated each and every one of them, not to mention tens of hundreds of other Duke players since 1996 when I officially became a Maryland Terrapin. I knew none of these players personally, but I knew one thing. I hated them with a passion and with a complete distain that I can't even explain.

I hated these players because they all had one thing in common. They all played for the hated Duke Blue Devils. I hated them because these players and their student body were a bunch of cocky asses. I lived and died with every Maryland win and every horrible lost to Duke. To sum it up in a nice little package of my hatred: I literally broke laws in relation to my hatred of Duke - which I won't mention to anywhere online.

I mention all of this because as I watched the first half of tonight's Maryland vs. Duke game at Cameron Indoor Stadium (Maryland's up by 6 at the half), I am in complete shock that I don't know or have ever seen play before one Duke player from this year's team. I don't hate these guys because I know nothing about them.

I've been a horrible Terps fan for the past few years from lack of football and basketball watching (I blame living in NJ which has very few Terps games on), so I could barely tell you the starting lineup even of the Maryland Terrapins team. There used to be a time that I could name every player, their shooting tendencies and the shots they made to beat another team five years ago. Now I couldn't tell you who's the 6th man off the bench. And now, I can't even admit that I hate anyone with passion who plays for Duke.

That's sad. Not as sad as this little 5 year old Duke fan was after his team lost to the Terps in the 2004 ACC Championship, but sad nonetheless.

No comments: