Friday, December 8, 2006

Andy Pettitte Returns to New York

Right now, all that I can say is that I am completely speechless. I knew that it was a possibility, but I wasn't ready to admit to myself that I wanted Yankee great Andy Pettitte back in Pinstripes. I wasn't ready to admit it, because I didn't want to be let down if he went back to the Astros. And now that the news came out tonight that Pettitte signed a 1-year, $16 million contract with the Yankees for 2007, with an option for 2008, I feel like a kid who woke up on Christmas morning to be greeted by a brand new bike under the Christmas tree.

Andy Pettitte was by far one of my favorite Yankees growing up and I was definitely upset when he left the Yankees in 2003 after a 21-8 season to join the Astros. I always felt that the Yankees didn't do enough to sign him, but at the same time, I knew that they were right not to throw gobs of money at him at the time because of the potential arm troubles that had started to surface. Well, sure enough, soon after he signed that 3-year deal with the Astros, Pettitte hit the DL and he remained there off and on again for 2 of the last 3 years. When he did pitch for the Astros, he was the same old Andy Pettitte going 37-26 over the course of 3 years, highlighted by a stellar 17-9 record and 2.39 ERA in 2005.

Now, he's back with the Yankees and needs 14 more wins for 200 wins in his career, making him the third winningst left handed pitcher in Major League Baseball History. ... And I couldn't be happier that he's going to do it in Pinstripes.

No comments: