Friday, May 23, 2008

The World I Know...

My wife and I experienced a Sopranos-type moment during the American Idol Season 7 Finale on Wednesday night.

My wife and I initially liked 17-year-old David Archletta, but the little pipsqueak soon wore on our nerves and we grew to hate him. It came to the point where we openly rooted against him. So, after David Cook sang a lackluster performance of Collective Soul's "The World I Know" on Tuesday night, we voted numerous times for him to be the winner of Season 7. I called it my Kerry vote, because it was like the people - including me - who simply voted for John Kerry for President in 2004 because they hated George W. Bush. They didn't like Kerry; they just hated Bush so much that they voted for Kerry by default. Same thing with the David Cook vote.

So for the Wednesday night American Idol Finale, we were forced to sit through 2 hours of the show - which is just way, way too long to expect someone to sit through - until we could find out who won.

And as we reached that final seminal moment and Ryan Seacrest announced: "The winner of Season 7 of American Idol is David --"

And then our fucking DVR recording switched off and skipped the very next -- and most important - part of that sentence. Technology's sure wonderful in the world that I know.

After we -SCREAMED - switched back to the show a second or so later and saw the Cook family celebrating, we figured out what happened; but it truly ruined a pretty dramatic moment...pretty much like when the screen faded to black before Tony Soprano was shot to death in the finale of the Sopranos...

No comments: