Monday, April 28, 2008

Is it Football Season yet?


It sure says something about the NFL's power over America - okay, mainly it's power over me - when I'm writing a blog in April about football. This past weekend was the NFL Draft and while I don't watch every pick, I keep up with it over the computer and occasionally during TV surfing.
I kept a special eye this year on the Giants picks during the draft as I wanted to see what Giants GM Jerry Reese had for an encore after his absolutely a stellar draft last year when 7 rookies that Reese drafted made an immediate, important impact on the team during the regular season and during the Giants' Super Bowl XLII run.

This year, I was pleased with the players that the team got.

1) Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

2) Terrell Thomas, CB, USC

3) Mario Manningham, WR/Toker, Michigan

4) Bryan Kehl, LB, BYU

5) Jonathan Goff, LB, Vanderbilt

6) Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky

7) Robert Henderson, DE, So. Mississippi


While I've never seen any of them play, I've heard good things about them. I'm especially excited to see "Super" Mario Manningham play. Supposedly at the beginning of the year he was charted to be a Top 5 pick. He dropped to the 3rd round this year because he lied about failing 2 marijuana tests and he scored really low on some dumb football intelligence test. A lot of teams dropped him off their draft boards because of those issues. Dumb if you ask me...I mean, who among us hasn't ....scored poorly on a football intelligence test before?
The Giants took a risk, but it could turn out to be huge for the team if Manningham performs well in the NFL. Plus, he's got Burress, Toomer, Smith and Tyree ahead of him, so if he slips up it won't be a huge blow to the team's draft chart.
I already have visions of awesome Manning to Manningham football plays....and word plays....

4 comments:

Smelmooo said...

GO RAY RICE!!!!

SportsWeezy said...

I love the draft, it is awesome...I watched whenever the redskins picked (B+ rating by the way)...I like manningham and phillips, in that order. People make too much about NFL players toking up, everyone does it in college but athletes are supposed to be immune? Manningham is a game breaker and will pay dividends immediately...phillips is a dynamic safety, with great ball skills. I watched both of these players play. The two lbs and de are special teams players at most and andre woodson is a major project because of his 'spurrier-coached qb like' delivery. He also misses way to many open receivers.

SportsWeezy said...

You all should have picked up some cornerbacks because you lost some in the offseason and the redskins just upgraded their receiving corps BIG-TIME!

Smelmooo said...

HEY FBT!!!!





























PPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO