Friday, November 30, 2007

Yes, It is My Birthday


As Eddie Murphy so adequately stated in Coming to America...."Yes, it is my birthday."

Well, my 20s are gone and my 30s are here. Unfortunately, I'm working today and going to a bunch of meetings when all I wanted to do today was play videogames and watch Season 2 of Entourage. You can see my maturity level has risen exponentially now that I'm in my 30s, huh?

I thought a lot about my 30 year old Birthday blog and while I really don't want to be completely self serving, I wanted to write a few lines about what I did in the first 30 years of my life. Hopefully this is only Chapter 1 of the 3 Chapters of my life. 30 down...and 60 to go...

In the first thirty years of my life...

  • I wrote two short stories named The Heist and Freshmeat and never finished either of them.
  • From the ageds of 15-25, I wrote over 500 poems to woo the ladies

  • I met and interviewed Larry Bird, Teddy Atlas, Jim Harrick, Jalen Rose, Bill Rafferty, Gary Williams and a host of student athletes and college coaches.

  • I graduated from the University of Maryland; the only college I ever wanted to go to.

  • I've made great friends and I've lost great family members.

  • I saw one of the greatest games in Yankees and maybe baseball postseason history when Aaron Boone hit a blast off Tim Wakefield in the bottom of the 11th inning of Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS.

  • I was alive for 6 Yankees World Championships and 2 Giants Superbowl Championships.

  • I have worked at Davy's Hot Dogs, Bill Clinton's White House, the US Naval Academy, Ketchum PR, Weber McGinn PR, SheaHedges Group, Schoor DePalma, H&G Public Affairs and a score of summer temp jobs.

I've loved and lived a lot and I know that I still have a whole lot living to do. And I'm going to work hard as hell to make the next 30 years even better than the last 30.

Thanks to my wife, my family and my awesome friends for making the first 30 years of my life truly memorable.

1 comment:

SportsWeezy said...

You old bastard...you almost brought me to tears with that truncated biography. Especially when you reminisced about Davy's hot dog as one of your former employers. I'm still 28 fucker...until Dec. 9th that is! haha.
Happy Birthday!

BTW: Why no Giants article Monday morning. I knew you weren't going to write about how Eli completed more touchdowns to minn defensive players than to his own teammates.

Typical Giants second half tailspin. Eli's mechanics remind me a lot of Heath Shuler from Game 9-16. Good luck the rest of the way, we are waiting for you at home.
No article about Sean Taylor, I'm disappointed. It was the biggest story of the week.