Friday, November 16, 2007

I Love Alex Rodriguez


Someone once said: "If you want something very, very badly, let it go free. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever. If it doesn't, it was never yours to begin with."
After Alex Rodriguez opted out of his Yankee contract a couple weeks ago, I was inconsolable. I couldn't believe it happened because I bought into what Alex said the whole season about wanting to be a Yankee. I bought into it when he was hitting clutch home runs during the regular season to keep the Yankees in contention. I bought into it when he hit his 500th homerun at Yankee Stadium and the crowd went nuts. I bought into it when it finally seemed like he was accepted by the New York fans; people who had booed him for three years whenever he made an out.
And when he opted out during the World Series, I promised I would never root for him again. I told anyone that listened that I hated Alex Rodriguez...I was in the verge of either setting my Alex Rodriguez T-Shirt on fire or cutting it up into 1,000 shreds.
..but I refrained from destroying the shirt because I held out hope...And sure enough, the prodigal son has returned with his Yankees hat in his hand and I love Alex Rodriguez again.
When I heard yesterday that Alex was meeting with the Steinbrenners and basically pleading to come back - if you can call getting a 10 year, $275 million contract begging and pleading - I was overjoyed. I read every single article I could find on the Internet, which was difficult as I was doing it from my Blackberry as I was waiting for my plane to leave Orlando.
Alex knew that his long-time agent and the devil's right hand man Scott Boras has made a mistake when he opted out. So he did the only thing that he had to do to get the Yankees to re-sign him by making a plea through third parties to get in touch with the Yankees. He told the Steinbrenners that he always wanted to be a Yankee and made a mistake. And now, Alex is on the verge of signing the biggest contract in sports history.
He's a Yankee for life and God am I happy about it.

No comments: