Monday, January 12, 2009

2007 dulls the pain from 2008...

I said at the beginning of the season (and think I even told this directly to a few of you) that I wouldn't care if the Giants went 4-12 during the 2008 season.

The 2007 season was so awesome and so exhilarating that I didn't have any expectations or hopes or demands for the 2008 season.

If the Giants did well, I would be happy.

Well, when it comes down to it, the Giants did well this season. They were not 4-12. They were 12-4 and the best team in the NFL for much of the season. ...That is, until the loss of Plaxico Burress. I don't care what anyone says, the loss of Burress hurt the team. They were completely a different team after Burress left the team. It made Eli a different QB. It killed the offense.

Yesterday's 23-11 lost to the Philadelphia Eagles left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm definitely not as disappointed as I've been in previous seasons.

Sure, Eli played horrible yesterday. But I also think that the play calling was simply atrocious. And while the Giants defense played okay, they did not make the big stops that were necessary.

I got text messages throughout yesterday's monstrosity from jealous Redskins and 49ers fans - who shall be nameless - talking about how Eli was horrible and how much the Giants sucked. yada. yada. yada. Sure, they played bad yesterday and yes, I am disappointed by how they ended the 2008 season, but I think this team has a bright future ahead.

...and think that their amazing 2007 season dulled the pain from yesterday's loss a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well - always next year after they get a new QB.

SportsWeezy said...

It's sad that Eli is a franchise player but cannot carry the team with a great running game. Plaxico is the missing link which is all the more scary...a good defense and great running game allowed Trent Dilfer to win the super bowl...but Eli can't do it? He regressed in the playoffs and clearly DOES NOT step up in the pocket when pressured. In general, he plays scared and protects his body, you can't be a great QB in the NFL and do that.
Chosen One was right about your squad...how come that wasn't mentioned in your monday morning QB piece? LOL.