Friday, August 15, 2008

ANNNDDDD.....Bad Afternoon Everybody.....I Suck Today


It's a sad day. ...

I learned today that my favorite afternoon entertainment, Mike and the Mad Dog, have split up. Like the Shockey trade a couple weeks ago, it's something that was rumored for weeks to happen, but when it actually came to its fruition, it didn't make me feel any better.

For the past 19 years, I've listened to Mike and the Mad Dog on WFAN and could never turn it off, despite the fact that Chris Russo (The Mad Dog) frequently annoyed the hell out of me from his constant mispronunciation of words/players' names (from Joeba to Gagggney) to his pure hatred of the Yankees. At times, he made no sense. At times, he was illogical. And at times, he pissed me off to no end.

Still though, it was a ritual of mine to listen to Russo's "Annnnnnddddd....Good afternoon everybody....How are you today!!?" trademark opening to the show. There were times that I was too busy to listen to the show, but still tuned it at 1:04 p.m. to hear that opening. It never got old and always brought a smile to my face.

I've always liked Mike Francesca, despite the fact that he could frequently be rude and over the top cocky/arrogant to his callers. Honestly though, I'm happy he's the one that he's staying with the FAN as he was, by far, the better of the two mid-day FAN hosts because of his knowledge of sports and his base in reality. (Russo was always over the top and insane in his comments).

Maybe it was their differences that made the show work so well and kept me listening on a daily basis. It's a sad, sad day for New York sports radio listeners everywhere ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I pick Mad Dog in the divorce. I always saw Mike as a crotchity old man who loves teams I hate (Yanks and the Cowboys). Their chemistry is classic - straight, smart guy and wacky, confrontational guy.

But in my opinion, Mike is the opposite of charismatic. Ever watch his Sunday evening show? It's dry, slow, and far from entertaining. It's only good when the Cowboys get destroyed earlier in the day.