Monday, March 3, 2008

I'm in Favor of the SIRIUS/XM Merger

First, here's my full disclosure. I own 1 Trillion shares of Sirius Satellite Radio. .... and I'm in favor of the proposed merger between Sirius and XM that has been under review with the DOJ and FCC for the last year.

As you know from my last blog, I just got a new car. Well, the car came with a 3 month trial to XM Satellite Radio. In short, DOJ and FCC have taken such a long time to decide on the merger case because they are worried that if SIRI and XMSR merge that they will create a monopoly and limit the consumers choice. Well, let me just share my opinion on this matter.

In my new car, along with 115 commercial free XM channels, I have two power outlets and an AUX outlet to hook up my iPod nano and 2 additional mp3 players. I also have a ton of AM/FM radio channels. I can listen to one song on XM, then switch over to hear Mike and the Mad Dog on WFAN and then easily switch over to hear a song on my iPod. I think that's a ridiculous amount of choice -- almost too much -- for me. And its for that reason that I think the merger between Sirius and XM should be accepted by the Feds.

I don't believe that the merger will limit my choices.... the only choice that will be limited is where I spend all of the beaucoup bucks that a merger announcement would make my stock worth.....
Oh, and I don't own a trillion, million or even a thousand shares. I was joking about that, if you couldn't tell. Do you hear that DOJ?

2 comments:

Smelmooo said...

You also want to hear all of the NFL.

Selfish head.

Anonymous said...

After considering the desires of the Paperboy, we have decided to let the merger go through.

Although, we would like to zing him a little bit, so we instituted the 'Paperboy clause' to the merger. Anyone who has a hard-wired XM receiver in their car will have to get a Sirius receiver installed, costing approximately $1500 with parts and labor.

This is to offset any stock profits he has in the future.