Monday, March 24, 2008

Disappoint Me with I Am Legend

I Am Legend - I really wanted to see I Am Legend when it was in the movie theater, but for one reason or another I didn't get a chance to see it then. So, I was really excited when it came out on DVD recently and my dad let me borrow it. I must say after watching it last night, I was happy that I didn't waste the gas to drive to the movie theater.
The movie starts out strange and usual as the director choses to show us life in NYC 3 years after everyone dies (except Fresh Prince of Belair) or becomes zombies (like Jazzy Jeff).
From the very start, the movie raises more questions than it answers and its extremely, extremely frustrating. For the first half hour of the movie, my wife and I bounced questions back and forth off each other - with either of us having any answers - because the movie keeps you wondering what the hell is going on - like why is there still electricity and running water in the city, why are there animals still running around and what happened to Will Smith's career after Independence Day. Through various flashbacks in the movie, you are given the answers to some of your questions - sans the ID question - but even in the end, you're left with more questions that you should ever have when you leave a movie theater/turn off your DVD players - like how the hell they get off Manhattan if all of the bridges are supposed to be blown up.
And to top it all off, the ending is simply unbelievable and dumb. And I'm talking about the original release ending; not the weird zombie makeout session ending dreamed up by the retarded director and provided to me in the DVD release.
Just a bad movie all around. And I'm disappointed to say the least.

No comments: