Thursday, January 31, 2008

Superbowl Brings Out the Gambler in All of Us


There was a time that Chosen One and I would sit in front of the TV on Sundays from morning until night and watch football. On a weekly basis, we'd religiously order a thin crusted Dominos Pizza, call Chosen One's chinese bookie and bet hundreds of dollars on football games we otherwise wouldn't care about if gambling wasn't involved. Sometimes, we won, but many times, our next day would be filled with trips to the ATM machine to hear the painful call of the ATM machine spitting out a fistful of 20s for fear that our legs would be broken should we not cover our latest bets.

With maturity and marriage, those days are long over though...
Since then, I've downscaled significantly. I placed a couple small $20 wagers with Mr. Lengyel, the 30-year-old gamer and a lunch bet with a Pats fan from my work. All of these Pats fans were hesitant to give me any points..Telling, huh?
I also got involved in a Superbowl boxes pool with Smelmooo friend's Truffle Shufflers - don't you just love all of the nicknames. At $10 a box, I picked boxes 56 and boxes 80. If you're a Giants fan you know the significance of those numbers. Unfortunately number 10 wasn't available.

There's 100 boxes -- making the total pot $1,000. Winner of Q1 gets 10%, Q2 (30%), Q3 (10%), Q4 -END OF 4TH QUARTER (50%). Numbers are drawn out of a hat before the game to determine what actual "team score" numbers I'll have for the Giants and Pats.
Wish me luck...any luck compared to what I used to have with football gambling would be something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you are moving from girl to little boy now. Maybe one day you'll be allowed to wager an amount that may bring happiness to even an Ethiopian kid...

Anonymous said...

Some of my favorite prop bets available on Bodog

- Who will win EA's game before the game?

- Will the entire Fox pre-game team pick the Patriots to win the Super Bowl?

- How Many Times will Joe Buck mention Peyton Manning's name during the Broadcast? (number is 5.5)