Thursday, January 17, 2008

Entertain Me ...with Friday Night Lights

What's wrong with America?

In the past, I've talked about how great shows like The Wire and Arrested Development were critically acclaimed by TV critics, but not watched by the general public. I now feel the same way about Friday Night Lights.

I've heard about the show in the past, but honestly had never watched it. Apparently, I wasn't alone as various times during the first season, NBC considered cancelling it due to a low ratings. I got the opportunity to watch the first episodes of Season 1 last night and I think it's one of the best shows I've ever watched.

The show surrounds a small Texas town who loves high school football...literally more than they love life. There are stories around many of the football players, cheerleaders, the coach and the team's booster.

During the first 3 episodes, one of the star players on the team gets paralyzed during a game. The town is completely floored by the event, not because of the kid's health, but because they are worried about losing their star player. There are plenty of times during the show where you really wonder what people are thinking and the importance they place on high school football.

It's a dramatic, powerful show that I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a list of the best shows ever from you. Everytime I read this blog it adds another title to your best movies/shows/anti-beer/anti-dude list.

Smelmooo said...

It is one of the best shows ever and I am glad to be one of the people that pushed him into watching it.

The second season takes an unfortunate Landry (my favorite character at that!) detour, but it has righted its ship.