Monday, October 13, 2008

Week 6 Rushing Blog


Welcome back to the Rushing Blog. It's been a busy blogging day for the Paperboy - and for good reason! I'm down by 40+ points in both of my leagues with Eli and the Giants defense going for both of my teams tonight, but I could care less because I got the greatest news ever today that me and the wife are having a healthy, baby girl in March.

7:01 p.m. - Big game for the Giants tonight. They can further solidify their ranking as the top team in the league and they can jump out 2 games in front of the 2ND PLACE Dallas Cowboys - sans Tony Romo - the Washington Redskins - sans the ability to beat the St. Louis Rams, a.k.a the worst team in the league.

7:03 p.m. - I'm calling it right now that Plaxico Burress, off his two week suspension for "insubordination," is going to have a HUGE game tonight.
7:05 p.m. - I didn't know Brad Johnson, the guy taking over the the injured Tony Romo, was still in the NFL.
7:16 p.m. - This is the first time that I've heard Emmitt Smith speak on the ESPN pre-game show. I had heard that he was a horrible commentator and I agree with that sentiment. He was a breathtaking running back -- probably the best I've ever seen -- but he is a bumbling fool as a commentator.
7:38 p.m. - If Obama blows his 10 point lead with 20+ days until the election, it'll be worst that the Yankees blowing that 3 game lead to the Red Sox in the 2004 ALCS. And that was bad!
8:10 p.m. - I wonder how Derek Anderson is feeling today...not only is Brady Quinn breathing down his neck for the starting QB position, but the Giants defense has knocked out the last two QBs (Palmer and Hasselbeck) they have faced. Both Palmer and Hasselbeck missed the game that was played the week after they faced the G-men. Maybe Anderson's hoping that Quinn starts tonight.
8:15 p.m. - It looks like the Browns took a thick sharpie marker and wrote their numbers on their helmets. Ugh.
8:28 p.m. - All of the experts on ESPN's pre-game show, sans Steve Young, are picking the Giants to win tonight. Hopefully that's not a bad omen.
8:30 p.m. - I hate Mike Tirico, Tony Kornheiser and Ron Jaworski....but I hate Troy Aikman more. Speaking of that, I've been getting more and more anonymous comments lately from readers of the WWW about my "I hate Troy Aikman" blog that I wrote last year. Maybe I'm onto something.
8:37 p.m. - Tony Kornheiser just said that Peyton - not Eli, as the pundits have said for years - is "the other Manning". I love that.
8:45 p.m. - Giants defense needs a big stop as Edwards 49 yard reception puts the Browns on the 25 yard line. Why Coughlin declined the false start penalty on the first play of the game is beyond me.
8:47 p.m. - Another Browns false start - this time it was accepted! - and a fumble by Anderson leads to a FG to put the Browns up 3-0.
8:54 p.m. - Nice catch by Steve Smith - the former No. 2 WR at USC. He's been a really great addition since last year for the Giants. I haven't heard about how Dwayne Jarrett - the No. 1 USC Trojan - is doing with the Panthers. Does that guy have a catch in two years?
8:57 p.m. - It's taking 4 or 5 Browns players to take down Brandon Jacobs tonight. Do you think he's amped up after the Browns trash talked him all week long?
8:58 p.m. - Bad pick by Eli. I don't remember his first pick this year, but this one was pretty bad as he overthrew Burress.
9:05 p.m. - The Giants defense looks very mediocre when they face an offense that plays dink and dunk. Shh...don't tell the rest of the league.
9:09 p.m. - No good FG from 51 yards by Phil - don't call me James Vanderbeek - Dawson. Giants have great field position at their own 42 yard line and need to grab hold of this game right here.
9:10 p.m. - My grandfather John Carney is starting over Lawrence Tynes again. I heard Tynes isn't injured, but Carney was chosen to start over him. Interesting.
9:13 p.m. - Is anyone else surprised that Pacman Jones got into trouble again only a 1/3 of the way through the season. Didn't think so.
9:14 p.m. - It seems that Derrick Ward runs for like 15 yards every time he comes into the game. He just ran for 17. Nice change of pace from Brandon Jacobs.
9:17 p.m. - Big 7 yard run from Jacobs as he takes the toss and he runs right over a Browns CB for a TD. Being down by 40 points in both of my fantasy leagues makes me care less about Jacobs -- and not Eli - scoring that TD there (insert inside joke here if you read my other Rushing Blogs). Giants up 7-3.
9:27 p.m. - After a 70+ yard throw to Edwards, Jamal Lewis runs in for a TD. Glad I didn't start him on my fantasy team this week. 10-7 Browns.
9:37 p.m. - Tony Kornheiser is an idiot as he compares Plaxico to T.O. in terms of Plaxico demanding the ball.
9:40 p.m. - I need to see a big stop from the Giants defense right here. The problem is that they haven't had pressure on Derek Anderson the entire night.
9:43 p.m. - The announcers have talked about Tony Romo's injury for literally 5 minutes. That's unacceptable during the middle of the game.
9:49 p.m. - The Giants look like crap right now as the Browns take the ball down the field to make the score 17-7. I told you it was a bad omen. The Giants need to wake the fuck up.
9:52 p.m. - Giants start from their own 20 yard line. I need to see a patented Eli Manning 2 minute drill right here where they get some points to cut the deficit before the half - and maybe get the momentum back.
10 p.m. - Shawn Rogers is one ugly dude.
10:03 p.m. - Eli has been pressured way more times tonight than any other times this season
10:05 p.m. - Welcome back Plax. Eli runs the 2 minute drill in the only way he knows -AWESOMELY - and throws a 3 yard TD to Plaxico to indeed cut the deficit to 17-14 Browns.
Half - It's been a bad half for the Giants defense. They haven't been able to stop the Browns offense, which up until tonight's game, has been inept this season. The offense has been decent, but the line isn't giving Eli anytime to throw and when that happens he's prone to make a mistake. The Giants definitely got the momentum back before the end of the half and will receive to start the 3rd Quarter. I'm hopeful for a better 2nd half.
10:17 p.m. - There was a election type poll at the half that asked who was the better Manning. Eli won 51 to 49 percent. I didn't vote in it. Awesome.
10:18 p.m. - The Rays destroyed the Red Sox today to take a 2-1 lead in the ALCS. That's even more awesome.
10:22 p.m. - Even more awesome is that I am going to be a father to a healthy baby girl in March. Did I mention that?
10:23 p.m. - Dear Giants, Let's go out there with a strong drive to start the 3rd Quarter, okay? Got it? Sincerely, Concerned Fan
10:24 p.m. - Why is Eli throwing a bomb down the field to start the half. That doesn't work as he's intercepted for the second time tonight. Guess they missed my memo
10:26 p.m. - Why is it that the Giants play awesome when no one respects them and crappy when everyone respects them??
10:30 p.m. - Refs miss a blatant holding call on the Browns allowing them to drive down to the Giants 8 yard line before they settle for 3 points. They really let the Giants off the hook there. 20-14 Browns.
10:31 p.m. - I think the Giants should get back to actually running the ball. That's what got them here, right?
10:35 p.m. - Kornheiser just stole my magic marker comment. Bastard.
10:40 p.m. - I don't get the play calling tonight. They abandon the run after running the ball well early and then call a run on 2 and 12th?
10:44 p.m. - Is a turnover from the Giants defense too much to ask for? Ahh.....
10:58 - The Browns have 8 false starts tonight and a ton of other penalties and they are still making the Giants defense look bad.
11:01 p.m. - 27-14 Browns. I'm speechless. This is why the NFL is so intersting because any team can win any week.
11:03 p.m. - There's no way the Giants can win tonight if their offense doesn't wake up and the defense doesn't stop someone.
11:15 p.m. - Just a bad overall game for the Giants as Eli throws his 3rd pick and the Browns take it back for a score. 34-14 Browns. What a debacle. I'm changing the channel with 8 minutes to play. Ugh!

2 comments:

SportsWeezy said...

What kind of fan, turns the channel with 8 minutes left. Terrible homer...I will say it again, when Eli gets smacked, he becomes a below-average QB. He has no moxy, looks like a little school-girl when he gets tackled. The fact that he didn't push the CB out-of-bounds in a 13 point game in the fourth quarter was huge. It was still just a 2-possession game at that point. You wonder why nobody talks about the Giants because they have not been tested and when they did, the REAL Giants showed up. Good luck at Washington, at Dallas and at Phili...you win 2 of those 3 and maybe people will talk about you. Your not even the best team in New York.

Smelmooo said...

This was one of my all time favorite games to watch.

Although... I was secretly hoping that the Giants w ould go 18-1 with the loss in the Super Bowl.