Sunday, October 5, 2008

Week 5 - Paperboy's Rushing Blog


Welcome back to Paperboy's Week 5 Rushing Blog. I guess you could call it Week 5. I didn't write one in Week 4 of the NFL season because of the Giants bye, so I guess you could call it Week 4. It's a busy day for Paperboy and his wife today. Cleaned up around the house this morning, watching the Giants game at 1 p.m. and then headed out to a 6 p.m. wedding in Short Hills.

11:51 p.m. - Both of my lineups are set for this week with one exception. I have John Carney, the old man Giants kicker starting for my team Road Warriors and I'm waiting to find out whether or not it's him or Lawrence Tynes - who's back from injury -who is kicking today for the team. You know my opinion: Carney is 9 for 9 this season as the placekicker and I don't think he should lose the job to Tynes, who is wildly inconsistent. I've heard the argument that the starter - Tynes - shouldn't lose his job because of an injury and I've also heard that while Carney is 9 for 9 early in the season, the Giants are worried that he is going to wear down - because of his age - as the season moves on. I don't buy either.

11:54 p.m. - This morning, I'm finishing up People Under the Stairs for the second time in my life. I remember watching it when I was 14 years old and having it scare the bejesus out of me. It took me 16 years to watch it for the second time and I'm definitely as scared as I was when I was 14. I'll be back (shaking) in a half hour or so.



12:27 p.m - In the first half hour of the Fox Pre-Game (a show I never watch) they've talked about the Redskins and Cowboys and still haven't talked about the Giants. The Super Bowl Champs get no respect.



12:45 p.m. - I've already written about the Plaxico Burress suspension, so I'll just say that I think that the team will miss him, but I think Domenick Hixon and Steve Smith will fill in just find for Burress.



12:57 p.m. - People Under the Stairs is one scary, demented movie. Kinda like future movie about the life of Al Davis.




1:01 p.m. - This is a big game for the Giants. They've started the season 3-0 and are historically bad after their bye week. The Seahawks are 1-2 and also coming off their bye week, so hopefully that helps Big Blue.



1:06 p.m. - On their first drive of the game, Matt Hasselbeck goes down on 3 and 5 and screams as loud as Elizabeth Hasselbeck does about Sarah Palin in The View. That can't be good for the Seahawks.



1:13 p.m. Nice 44 yard run by Jacobs followed up by a phenomenal 33 yard Touchdown pass from Eli to Domenick Hixon. Plax who? 7-0 Giants.



1:23 p.m. - Helped by a dumb personal foul call on Kevin Dockery, the Seahawks cut the score to 7-3 Giants.



1:28 p.m. - A sweet 15 yard end around rush by Dom Hixon - I've decided to call him Dom. This guy is something. Strahan called him a future superstar in the Fox pre-game show. You know, when they finally talked about the Giants at 1:47 p.m.



1:32 p.m. - I keep talking about it - and you can tell me to shut up - but since last year's regular season game against the Pats there's something different about Eli Manning. He actually stands in the pocket now, throws the ball off his front foot with force and is not scared by the pressure. I don't know what happened, but he's been a different QB since that game.



1:33 p.m. - 3 yard TD run by Jacobs, 14-3 Giants. Again, I was wishing that it was Jacobs that scored the TD, but instead Eli throwing it - since he's my QB in both leagues. Again, I'm sick.



1:38 p.m. - After a quick 3 and out by the Seahawks, Manning hits Hixon on 41 Yard bomb on the first play of the Giants series.


S-U-P-E-R-S-T-A-R.



1:43 p.m. - My fantasy starter John Carney nails a 29 yard FG and puts the Giants up by 2 TDs, 17-3 Giants.



1:48 p.m. - Another 3 and out by the Seahawks. The Giants defense looks really good today.



2:00 p.m. - 2nd TD of game for Jacobs after Hixon comes up just short of the goal line on throw by Manning. You would think I was rooting against the Giants! 24-3 Giants.





2:04 p.m. - John Carney has been rough on kickoff today as his kickoff lands just in front of the 20 yard line. That's definitely a positive in Tynes "Pro" column. He is better than Carney on kickoffs.


2:08 p.m. - Another 3 and out for the Seahawks offense. They are 0 for 5 on 3rd down today. The Giants offense, who has scored on their first four possessions will take the field again. They must be tired.


2:20 p.m. - Carney nails a 33-yard FG to put the Giants up 27-3. He then kicks the ball out of bounds on the kickoff. Not a good thing to do with 47 seconds left. The last thing the Giants need to do now is give the Seahawks life.


2:24 p.m. - 2 separate, dumb personal foul face mask penalties by the Giants defense gives the Seahawks life -- and 30 yards -- and they cash in with a field goal. 27-6 Giants.


At the half - Giants have 342 yards of offense in the first half...the most of any team in the league this year and most by a Giants team in 17 years. Thanks to Kenny Albert for those two morsels of information. Eli has his most first half passing yards in his career. Strahan says during the half-time show: "Giants are a new team. This is not even the team that I played on. They don't need me. They don't need Osi. They don't need Plaxico. The team really believes that they can win with whoever they have in there."


2:47 p.m. - A wide open 23 yard TD pass from Eli to Sinorice Moss. Did you hear that the Giants use to have a WR named Plaxico Burress? 34-6 Giants. According to Kenny Albert, the Giants have scored on all 6 possessions. Thanks again Kenny.


2:52 p.m. - Another 3 and out for the Seahawks. They are a pitiful team that has only been helped by Giant penalties.


2:55 p.m. - The Giants offense takes the field again. Boring. Where's Ahmad Bradshaw today? He hasn't seen the field once in a running situtation today.


2:57 p.m. - The Giants are denied on 3rd down! ...and Jeff Feagles comes in to punt for the first time today.


3:02 p.m. - Seattle is 0 for 7 on 3rd down as Kevin Dockery intercepts Hasselbeck and runs it back 30+ yards.


3:08 p.m. - 35 yard FG by my fantasy guy John Carney to make it 37-6 Giants. That's 3 FGs and 4 XPs by Carney today. That's nice.


3:15 p.m. - Hasselbeck is taken out of the game for Seneca Wallace. Presumably so he doesn't get hurt in the Giants blow-up win.


3:23 p.m. - Coughlan makes the same decision and takes out Eli. I think that's a great decision despite the fact that Eli won't be getting any more fantasy points for me today.


3:24 p.m. - Bradshaw finally gets into the game and is running like a madman.


3:27 p.m. - Bradshaw just rushed for 30+ yards like he was a player in Madden 09. He was spinning and stiff arming and kicking butt.


3:28 p.m. - 2 TD of the game for Sinorice Moss and it's 44-6 Giants. Do you remember way back when the Giants won the Super Bowl on that last minute TD catch. Who was the WR who caught that pass, again?











3:29 p.m. - Alright, I need to get ready for this wedding we're going to and with a 38 point lead and 9 minutes left in the game, I'm pretty sure the game is well in hand.

No comments: