Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Day 6: Standing on the Corner with Some Indian Rock Art

After having a world wind 5 days in Arizona, the last two were by far the least exciting. We woke up early on Day 6 - to my chagrine, a common trend during the trip - had breakfast and visited Canyon de Chelly. After seeing the Grand Canyon and the Red Rocks, Canyon de Chelly wasn't very impressive by comparison. The coolest part of Canyon de Chelly was we had the opportunity to speak with a local Indian artist who was selling his...how do I put this....rock art.

From the beginning of our vacation, my wife had looked for authentic Indian art to bring back to New Jersey. Everytime we looked through shops, she would check where it was made for and immediately put it down when it said it was made in Mexico or Taiwan, etc. etc.

So, we were excited when we had to chance to speak with an authentic Indian artist who painted flat rocks while we watched. He offered us a deal to buy one piece for $60 and get another one for free. I knew my wife wanted one, so I used my the bartering skills that I had picked up from some intense Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion gaming and told him, we'd buy one for $40. He eagerly accepted and we now have a nice 1 of a kind painted rock in our New Jersey living room.

After visiting Canyon de Chelly, we travelled south and drove on Interstate Route 40. A large majority of this Interstate goes along the old Route 66, which was once known as the mother road. It's interesting, but all it really is is an old dirt road. Might be interesting to those who deal with asphalt - you know who you are Smelmooo - but I was less than enthralled with this part of the trip.
During this part of the trip, we stopped at the Petrified Forest and saw petrified trees - actually logs laying on their sides - that had turned into rocks. As I said in an earlier blog, it wasn't nearly as impressive as I thought it was going to be. My wife and I were really disappointed with it.

Another stop that I wasn't all too impressed with was when we stopped on the Corner of Winslow, AZ, made famous by the Eagles old song Take it Easy. It's a corner. That's it...

That night we stopped again in Sedona and had quite an awesome dinner and the friggin hottest -to the taste- fajitas I have ever had. I love hot food and put Tabasco sauce on everything I eat...But I was sweating eating these fajitas. God, they were hot.

That's all for now. Tune in soon for the last day of our trip....otherwise known as Day 7: The Reason Why Randy Johnson is such an asshole; because Phoenix (where the Diamondbacks play) sucks snake balls...do snakes have balls?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So this dude wanted $30 for each rock and your awesome negotiating got you $40 a rock? Better reconsult the 'ol Elder Scrolls on that one.

looking forward to more pictures of the trip, though. keep those coming....