Friday, July 13, 2007

Day 2: Are the Red Rocks for Real?


Prior to July 4th, my only knowledge of the Red Rocks came from the fact that Dave Matthews put out a Live Album at the Red Rocks a few years ago. I knew that and also that we would be visiting a place where the rocks were colored red...the name kinda gave it away.

When we arrived at the Red Rocks, I must say that I was taken aback by the view of the rocks from road into Sedona as well as the awesome view from our hotel balcony. I had no idea how truly awesome they were until we went on a tour of the Red Rock State Park.
On the second day in Sedona, we took a 2 hour Pink Jeep tour - apparently one of the most popular tours in Sedona - around the Park and I was taken completely aback by the beauty of the Red Rocks. For most of the trip, I didn't even believe that they were real. It's just really hard to put into words and I'll never do the feeling I had justice, so I'll leave it at that.

After the jeep tour, we hiked through Oak Creek Park -- about 15 miles from Red Rock State Park and had a decent time. It was an okay hike, but it was cut short because of the impending rain. Turns out though that it never actually rained except for a few drops. The wind though was howling like hell. We've never heard such a strong wind before. For me and the wife, it was yet another example of nature that you don't experience in New Jersey.

After hiking, we decided to enjoy the main street of Sedona. I'm not sure what the deal was, but there was NO ONE at all in Sedona on the Wednesday and Thursday that we were there. We had nice dinners both nights and the restaurants were completely empty and the streets made it feel like a ghost town.
...but our view of the Red Rocks during Wednesday and Thursday made our first stop on our 2007 Arizona Road Trip totally worth it. Stay tuned tomorrow for the stories about our first day at the Grand Canyon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that guido Tony w/ a sleeveless shirt??? Bet you fit in there!