Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11/01 - Feels like it was just yesterday ...


To be honest, I was hungover when I woke up on Tuesday, September 11, 2001.

The night before I had watched -- with a few friends -- the New York Giants play the Denver Broncos in the first Monday night football game of the year. I watched both the Giants lose and Broncos' Wide Receiver Ed McCafferty suffer a horrific broken leg during the game. I woke up that morning remembering how horrific it had looked on TV.

I left from my apartment in Arlington – three miles from the Pentagon – at around 8:20 a.m. and got into work a little before 9 a.m. On the way to work, I don’t remember if I listened to sports radio talk show or if I was listening to a CD. I know for sure that I didn’t hear anything about the horrific events that were unfolding in America that morning.

When I got into work, my colleague Mark told us that a small plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. No one thought for a second that it dealt with terrorism. Still, we went into our meeting at 9:30 a.m. and brought up during the meeting how nuts the news was.

By the time we got out of the meeting, we learned that a 2nd plane had flown into the Trade Center and another one had crashed into the Pentagon. Of course, we all knew then it dealt with terrorism. The news instantly affected everyone in the office because of the Pentagon’s proximity to our office. I think all of us literally feared for our lives. We all wondered what would come next. Would a plane crash into the White House or Capitol? The CIA building was right down the street from us…Would something happen there? The scariest thing was the unknown.

So, for three hours, the staff at our small office sat in front of the radio listening to the news come in. I’ll never forget the face of my boss Alison when she told us that her sister heard a bomb go off in nearby Alexandria. In reality, I think it was the sonic boom of jets rushing to secure the U.S. airways. The entire morning was just surreal.

After hours of waiting for traffic to thin out around Arlington, I made the usual 15 miles trek home. Traffic wasn’t thin that afternoon though. As I drove down Glebe Road – a main thoroughfare in Arlington – a trip that usually took a half hour, took me three hours that afternoon. We were forced on numerous occasions to drive up on the curb to allow ambulances to get pass us on their way to the Pentagon. Traffic was packed and you could hear everyone on the road tuned into news radio.

I got home after three hours and sat down in front of the TV watching the same images over and over. I was mesmerized. I was sickened. I was sad.

That day, as it did for millions of people, left an undeniable scar on my life forever. I didn’t know anyone who died in the World Trade Center or the Pentagon. I didn’t know anyone on the planes that crashed. But at the time, I lived three miles from the Pentagon and grew up in the NYC area, so I felt as if I was somehow affected. To this day, I tear up when I think about that day. I can’t read anything about it. I’ll never watch movies about it. And I won’t watch coverage of it if it’s on the news.

Eight years later, it’s still hard for me to look back and remember that day. I’m not sure when it will be easy.

Scars take time to heal.

These scars are deep.

No comments: